1. Cedar is very aromatic and has a distinctive scent.
2. Cedar has a beatiful purple or red heart at the center of the wood, depending on whether the species is Purple Heart Cedar or Red Cedar (we carry both!).
3. Cedar catches fire easily due to the high concentration of cedar oil, and burns cleanly compared to other common woods such as pine, making is a good choice for starting fires.
4. Cedar firewood heats quickly and burns hot.
5. Cedar is also famous for its snap, crackle and pop nature. If you use it in a fireplace make sure you have a protective screen or glass doors.
6. The unique, pleasant aroma of cedar comes from the oil found in the center of the tree. The oil is only found in older, more mature trees.
7. Cedar is a repellant to moths and other insects which is why closets are lined with cedar. Cedar balls or blocks can also be placed inside dresser drawers to help prevent insect damage to clothing.
8. Cedar has been processed throughout history as a valuable resource and has been used in shipbuilding, shingles, bowls and canoes.